Wednesday 16 January 2013

TTC tokens and Vanilla WoW

Back in late December I paid for 20 TTC tokens at a subway station when coming home from work.  I paid my fare, entered the station and counted my tokens: 16.  Adding the one I just used for fare, that meant I was only given 17 tokens instead of 20.  I didn't want to leave the station again to argue that he had given me the wrong number of tokens (he didn't use the dispensing machine, he counted them manually) and besides there was a line up.  Because I put the tokens in my change purse there was no way I could prove that he had accidentally given me the wrong number of tokens.  So when I arrived at home I went to the TTC website and put in a complaint, explaining the situation and saying I only wanted the three tokens.  Well today I received a letter from the TTC Senior Customer Service Representative and taped to the letter were three tokens!  So that was good that they gave me the tokens I was owed, but from now on I'm just going to get my tokens from Shoppers Drug Mart since they dispense them 5 at a time into bags so they're always given out in correct quantities.

In other news, while watching videos on YouTube of World of Warcraft music I saw a couple comments mentioning a private server set in Vanilla (1.12).  I started playing in Burning Crusades so I never really got to experience WoW when it was new.  Since private servers are free, I decided to sign up for a couple and check them out.  They both used the same client, but one seemed to be working better for me than the other and so that's the one I started a character on.  I hope I don't get in trouble with Blizzard for doing this, because really I'm just satisfying my curiosity.  It's not as though I'm going to stop being a subscriber to the actual World of Warcraft.  Anyway, I've noticed some things about WoW 1.12 and the private server that are worth noting:

Private Server features:
- The realm I started on creates level 60 characters instead of level 1s.  That way you can jump in and get to the end game content and pvp ranks.  Since the realm is PVP, it also prevents people from being ganked by high level toons since you won't really be questing.
- Upon rolling your character you get a portal to the nearest city.  When you port into the city, there are vendors with rings, cloaks, totems/librams/idols, and dungeon 1 gear sets.  All of this is free, which is good since your toon is starting at level 60 in level 1 gear.  Thnis is a great way to get you set up quickly so you can start enjoying the game and not have to grind up dungeons for gear.
- The riding vendor is free for regular riding, and one racial mount is free.  No running around until you can earn some gold!  You only get a 60% mount, but it's better than nothing.

Notable differences from Mists of Pandaria:
- I miss auto-loot.
- Wow, Stormwind was really ugly compared to the revamp it received in Cataclysm.  Really this is true for a lot of the zones.  I hadn't really noticed much of an upgrade when all the zones changed in Cataclysm, but going back to Vanilla you can really see the differences in quality.
- The layout of Stormwind is different.  Especially Old Town.  Instead of the open area with the training dummies and stable master, you have some stone walkways.  The door into where the honour vendors are is a portal and you cannot get inside unless you are rank 4 or higher, whatever that means.  I have yet to successfully PVP.
- I still like the old talent trees.  I understand why Blizzard moved away from that talent model, but I still like it.
- I do not miss spell ranks.  It's very annoying having to flip pages trying to find the highest rank of a spell so you can add it to your bars.  If I was levelling, I probably would've forgotten that I even have to see a trainer every level or two to train.
- It's quaint to only have a few abilities.  I rolled a restoration druid.  She has 4 healing spells: rejuvenation, regrowth, swiftmend, and healing touch.  Also tranquility, but that's more a cooldown.  It keeps things sooo much simpler.
- I miss addons.  OH GOD DO I MISS ADDONS!  I was invited to join a guild and raid with them tomorrow night (well, it's later tonight now).  I'm not sure how to heal without addons.  I know it's possible, but I will have to get myself set up beforehand with vuhdo or clique or something.  I also need unit frames.  I'm not entirely sure how Blizzard envisioned people to heal in Vanilla.  Click a frame and press a button?  Ugh!
- Ability changes.  Abilities are similar but different form how they are now, and they are influenced/changed by talents.  It's kind of like learning the game over again.
- I miss the fact that buffs now buff a group if you're in a group.  You don't have to buff everyone individually.  In a 20 man, that will be annoying (the group I'm joining is only doing 20 mans for now).
- WTB more mana.  Spirit is obviously going to be a huge deal for me.  I can't just spam my big heals or anything.  My mana regen is stupid low, but my heals are probably decent.  Balancing gear will be a new challenge.

Unrelated:
- The guild that has asked me to join them tomorrow night is French.  I don't know much French and they don't know much English.  So this may or may not work.  lol

Overall this is an interesting experience and I'm sure I will have more to add as I play more.  I only played for a couple hours tonight (I had to raid in live WoW) so we will see how things go tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment